Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cross-Curricular - Cross-Cultural

Hi from The Juice!

Cultural understanding and diversity is not a concept that would naturally jump out at me but I have racked my little brain for the following link from my life!
I've supported pupils in plenty of AQA GCSE English (England) lessons in a previous guise. The students look at mucho poetry in year 11 (15-16 years old) and this poem from 'other cultures' captured my imagination - I suspect it could capture yours too (cue dreamy side to side drift off effect...):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/grace-nichols-island-man-poem-only/1368.html

Here Grace Nichols discusses her feelings about having two identities: Guyanan and British, plus the poem again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/grace-nichols-island-man/1367.html

Knowledge of what other subjects get up in a school can help your own - and the learners get that warm feeling only interconnectedness offers. Win-win. My favourite outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment